5.06.2008

Army Wives in Charleston








So last Thursday I had the chance to be an extra on the set of Army Wives.  It was a pretty long day, about 9 or 10 hours, and it seemed they may have only gotten 5 minutes of footage out of the whole thing.  I'd been on sets before, so I knew how much work went into just a tiny scene, but it was cool to see it again.  I was dressed as an Iraqi street vender.  What!? You may say, well, I had a fairly long beard at the time, and a head wrap and they darkened my skin.  The beard is gone now by the way.  Anyway, I didn't have my camera that day, but here's a group of photos I took yesterday of the area in North Charleston where the scene was shot.  It was dressed up as an outdoor bazaar in Iraq where a shooting took place.  I had a few different background roles I had to fill including a fruit vendor, shopper and baby goat herder.  There's a picture of blank shells, holes in the wall where some errant bullets were supposed to have hit and two of the gunpowder squib balls used for creating gunshot holes.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! My husband and I are huge fans of the show Army Wives. We live on Folly Beach and were thrilled to see Crosby's Seafood used in the last episode. How do you find out where they are filming? We would love to have the chance to be extras in a scene.

Max Miller Dowdle said...

Hey, I drove by their office on upper Meeting and they just happened to have a sign out for extras. They needed someone with a beard, which I happened to have at the moment and they snapped me up. I don't have their contact information on hand, but I know they're always looking for people.